The short answer is YES, we do! Every 12-18 months, we hire four Trainees to join our highly-regarded Field Crew.
Once they have been through the full interview process (See answers to our other FAQ), this is what they encounter to become best in class Line Mechanics!
1. Each trainee completes a workplace First Aid certificate.
2. We then enrol them with Connexis for the National Certificate in Electricity Supply (Distribution Line Mechanic) (Level 4). We advertise for people with Level 2 NCEA due to the level 4 requirements. There are calculations as well as written specifications and communication/understanding and interpretation across the literacy spectrum.
3. We then enrol trainees with MITA (our training provider).
4. After that, they attend two, one-week block courses per year for two years, and then a two-week course, six months after the last block.
Our trainees are then qualified. During this time, they work under supervision with a highly-skilled Supervisor and team.
5. During the training time, our trainees must to fill out a Log Book every day. This provides evidence for awarding unit standards.
Before each block course, they have to complete attestations which verify that they have done the practical work to the correct standard for awarding the unit standards.